* Wash your face with a gentle, oil- and fragrance-free cleanser; preferably a nondetergent one labeled pH balanced.
* If you have oily skin all over your face, use a cleanser that contains benzoil peroxide or salicylic acid.
* Don't scrub - irritated skin swells around the pores, which can cause breakouts.
* Skip toner unless your face is very oily, otherwise it might dry out the skin.
* Apply a topical acne treatment containing benzoyl peroxide, glycolic acid, or salicylic acid over your entire face, not just where blemishes have already erupted.
* At night, use a drying spot-treatment product and dab oil-free moisturizer on dry areas.
In the morning, apply an oil-free sunscreen gel over the entire face.
* Use a small makeup brush to dab concealer or cream foundation (in the exact same shade as your skin) directly onto the blemish. Use a fingertip to wipe away excess concealer around the blemish and, if necessary, apply another coat of concealer.
* If the makeup becomes cakey, carefully wipe it off and start over. Gently brush powder (in the exact same shade as your skin) on top of the concealer.